Violent Video Games
Video games are among the most popular activities for children and youth. They are at least as popular as television, but some studies show that video games become more and more popular due to a number of advantages, such as interaction and constant development of new programs and gaming technologies. Video games are getting more and more violent, thus they
Over the past decade and a
You can order a similar but unique paper on "The change of corporate culture of SK Telecom” from our custom paper writing service and secure yourself a high grade. HandMadeWritings is the top spot to buy research paper, term paper, essay, or even dissertation.
One of the major disadvantage of all studies that prove the correlation between violent games and aggression in real life is the lack of background studies of the children’s environment (Lynch, 2001). As a result, researchers make their conclusions while grounding only on one factor of many. While children can be influenced by video games, their parents, TV, friends, and school as well impact them. Therefore, it can be said that video games have a significant influence on the aggressive behavior of youth if only all the influences are studied altogether and video games are proven to be the only negative impact.
It is essential to note that the overall youth crime rates are currently much lower than they were back in the 1960s (Ferguson & Kilburn, 2010), although the numbers of children playing violent computer games have significantly grown over the past couple of decades. These statistics alone show that all the mentioned acts of aggression among children cannot be blamed on computer games and researchers should look for other sources of violence among children and adolescents.
There are many studies showing the impact of violent video games on aggression among school and university students. Various acts of mass violence that have happened in different states have led to assumptions that there is a strong connection between games and behavior patterns. But, while there are many studies that show the connection between the two factors, there are as many researchers that prove no or almost no influence of video games on the behavior of children and teenagers. Therefore, before jumping to any conclusions the subject of violent video games and their influence on youth behaviors still requires deeper exploration.
- Anderson, C.A. (2003). An update on the effects of playing violent video games. Journal of Adolescence, 27, 113-122.
- Ferguson, C.J. (2008). The school shooting/violent video game link: Causal link or moral panic? Journal of Investigating Psychology and Offender Profiling, 5.
- Ferguson, C.J. (2010). Video games and youth violence: A prospective analysis in adolescents. Journal of Youth Adolescence.
- Ferguson, C.J. & Kilburn, J. (2010). Much ado about nothing: The misestimation and overinterpretation of violent video game effects in Eastern and Western nations: Comment on Anderson et. al. Psychological Bulletin.
- Lynch, P.L., Gentile, D.A., Olson, A.A., & van Brederote, T.M. (2001). The effects of violent video game habits on adolescent aggressive attitudes and behaviors. Biennial Conference of the Society for Research in Child Development.
You can order a similar paper from our custom essay writing service and secure yourself a high grade. HandMadeWritings is the top spot to buy